Arcadia Car Accident Attorney
Every year, millions of people are injured in car accidents across the country. Car crashes, moreover, are the leading cause of unintentional injury deaths in California. In 2017, there were 3,304 fatal car accidents and 3,602 related deaths. Sadly, a serious traffic accident can change your life. You may end up disabled or disfigured, facing significant medical expenses and a limited capacity to work. You can lose certain physical functions and face ongoing chronic pain.
At the Law Offices of Dulio R. Chavez, II & Associates, our Arcadia law firm is dedicated to helping the people of California recover compensation for the damages they have suffered due to traffic crashes caused by the negligent or reckless actions of other people. From our offices in Arcadia, we serve clients throughout Los Angeles and the Inland Empire. Reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney for advice and representation after a California car accident and let us help you get the recovery you deserve.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car crashes can happen at any time for a variety of reasons, but all-too-often they are the result of negligent behavior by drivers, pedestrians, or other parties. If you are injured or your loved one is killed as a result of the negligent driving of another person, you have the right to hold the responsible parties liable for the damage they caused you and your family.
Some of the more common causes of car accidents include the following:
- Driving under the influence. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs remains a leading cause of injury and fatal car accidents nationwide and across the State of California. Every day, nearly 30 people are killed across the country in a drunk driving accident. While ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft have helped reduce the incidence of drunk driving accidents in some locales, drunk driving (even among those rideshare drivers) remains a serious issue.
- Distracted Driving. Distracted driving has become one of the most serious dangers on the road for California drivers. Texting, emailing, eating, changing clothes, or performing any other task that takes a driver’s attention away from the task at hand create a serious risk of causing a crash. In some places, distracted driving has caused more fatalities than even drunk driving, and the rate of fatal accidents connected to phone use while driving continues to increase. It is illegal in California to text while driving, and for good reason–texting while driving kills.
- Drowsy Driving. Drowsy driving can be nearly as dangerous as drunk driving. Drivers who do not get enough sleep, especially commercial drivers such as truckers and cab drivers who work long, punishing shifts, are likely to make the same mistakes and suffer from the same reduced reaction speeds as drunk drivers.
- Excessive speed and aggressive driving. Speed limits exist for a reason. Depending on the road, driving at a high rate of speed reduces your ability to react to unexpected conditions, to safely make turns, and to stop or swerve suddenly to avoid a hazard without causing an accident as a result. Unsafe maneuvers such as passing into oncoming traffic or darting between lanes of cars are also likely to contribute to an accident.
- Manufacturing defect. Major auto companies are constantly issuing recalls for safety defects discovered in cars, trucks, and other vehicles currently traveling on California roadways. Manufacturers either design or produce cars with problems involving ignition, engine failure, brake failure, airbag malfunction, or any number of other safety problems, increasing the likelihood of an accident as well as the chances that any given accident will be severe or fatal for the victims. In 2019, for example, Subaru recalled 1.3 million cars and SUVs, and 863,000 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles were recalled, as were thousands of Audis, Volkswagens, and Volvos. If you were injured as a result of a design or manufacturing defect in your vehicle, you have the right to recover from the auto company.
Recovering After a Car Crash
If you were injured in a car accident, there are a variety of damages you may be able to recover from the at-fault party, the insurance companies, or a vehicle manufacturer. California law allows you to bring a claim for so-called “economic” damages, which include things like medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other direct expenses resulting from an accident. Additionally, injured drivers can seek “non-economic” damages for emotional or psychological trauma such as pain and suffering. If you are suing on behalf of a deceased family member, you may have a claim for wrongful death. Also, if the at-fault party was particularly reckless (for example, a drunk driver), you may be able to recover punitive damages, which are recoverable damages on top of the money necessary to “compensate” you for your injury. Your car accident lawyer can evaluate your case and help you determine which damages are available and how to maximize your available recovery.
Contact a Dedicated Arcadia Car Accident Lawyer After Your Southern California Car Crash
For talented, knowledgeable, and effective, help with a car crash claim in Southern California, contact the Arcadia Law Offices of Dulio R. Chavez II & Associates for a free consultation at 626-357-3303.